Waterproofing your outdoor gear
Waterproofing your outdoor gear in the wash
Some of the best stories from your journey are full of rain, stains, and pains. The more campfire tales you collect however, the more your gear goes through along the way. Over time, exposure to different substances and conditions wears down waterproof layers, and impacts breathability, causing you to feel damp and clammy on the inside. Treating your old reliables with our Premium Water & Stain Repellent Inwash from The North Face CARE Collection powered by DFNS improves their water resistance and breathability, so you can keep the stories coming another season longer.
The Premium Water & Stain Repellent Inwash adds a long-lasting liquid repellent layer that is safe for specialized garments and reactivates hydrophobic properties with each wash cycle. It doesn’t compromise the item’s breathability and the highly concentrated solution is greener, and more cost-effective than commonly used highly diluted alternatives. What’s more, the bottle has an innovative automatic dosing system that prevents spills and inaccurate pours, resulting in a reliable dose every time.
Below are some instructions for waterproofing your items so that they will last for many years.
How to waterproof your outdoor gear with our:
Here are some steps you need to take to improve the water-resistance ability and ensure the longevity of your garments.
Preparing for Wash:
- Take off any sections of your clothing that can’t be washed, making sure the pockets are empty.
- Zip up the garment and fasten any straps or Velcro.
- Only wash up to two things in a single load.
- Clean the dispenser tray in your washing machine of any detergent residue.
- Avoid using with other traditional washing products.
Tip: If you don’t know already, the symbols on your detergent tray mean the following:
(I) – Pre-wash Cycle
(II) – Main-wash Cycle – this is where your detergent will usually go.
(III) / * - Fabric Softener compartment
- Turn the Water & Stain Repellent Inwash bottle upside-down with the cap on, then add the recommended dosage (25ml).
- Remove the cover, and then fill the Main Wash Dispenser with the 25ml (II).
- Wash your item as directed on the care instructions, ideally with a low heat and low spin.
Take notice of the dispenser change while washing and waterproofing together:
- Fill up the fabric softener dispenser with Water & Stain Repellent Inwash (III)
- Fill up the main wash dispenser with your Tech & Down Wash (II)
Dry items in a tumble dryer as directed by the manufacturer.
So there you have it, an easy way to waterproof your gear at home. High performance materials in particular require regular maintenance to function correctly. And it will return the love by keeping you warm and dry on all your crazy outdoor adventures.
Our wash solutions need only be applied sparingly – once or twice a year.
If you are already out on the trail and are worried about rain, or if you notice a specific area of your garment that needs further protection, then our air-powered Apparel Protector spray is probably the more suitable option for waterproofing your gear. You can reapply the spray every few outings, or once you see a dip in performance.